A Change of Guard

សូមស្តាប់វិទ្យុសង្គ្រោះជាតិ Please read more Khmer news and listen to CNRP Radio at National Rescue Party. សូមស្តាប់វីទ្យុខ្មែរប៉ុស្តិ៍/Khmer Post Radio.
Follow Khmerization on Facebook/តាមដានខ្មែរូបនីយកម្មតាម Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/khmerization.khmerican

Sunday 30 November 2008

One-on-One with Sapagna Eap

Sunday, November 30, 2008


Sopagna Eap competes in the U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials in Boston in April.

Provided

Sopagna Eap competes in the U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials in Boston in April.

Great performance at New York. Was it a smooth, comfortable race for you?

"I switched from feeling good to not-so-good, but I think I'm starting to get stronger with the marathon because I expected to the hit the wall at (mile) 20 or 21 and it never happened. I was grateful for that because the wall is always painful."

You grew up in San Francisco where running conditions are better. What was it like training in the heat and humidity of the Lowcountry?

"When I first moved here, I couldn't breathe. I'd never been exposed to heat and humidity. I didn't think I was going to make it. I was struggling and all the runs I did were terrible. I'd do intervals (speed workouts) and they (laps/intervals) were much slower than usual ... I didn't know where all the water fountains were, so I eventually went out and bought a (hydration) belt. Then it got cooler and I felt better."

You were born in a refugee camp in Thailand near the border of Cambodia. Tell me about that experience.

"I was 8-months-old at the time (when they left) and don't remember anything, but my parents lived through the Kmer Rouge, then the Vietnamese invaded Cambodia and they lived through that. When the Vietnamese left, the country had to rebuild itself ... They (her parents) crossed the border on bicycles from Cambodia to Vietnam and my dad speaks multiple languages, which helped. The refugee camps were filled with Cambodians and (my parents) pretended to be Vietnamese. Then through the refugee system, we made it out ... I'm glad I don't have any memories of the experience."

How did you get into running?

"I realized pretty early that I could run well. I was pretty active. I played different sports, but running was a better fit for my body type."

Which sports did you play?

(Laughs) "I played basketball and volleyball — which is fine when you're 13. My strength in those sports was that I had a lot of endurance."

Tell me about running at the University of California-Davis.

"I got a partial scholarship. At the time, it was a (Division II) school and wasn't allowed to give full scholarships ... I ran the 3K and 5K. I also ran cross-country, but I didn't do as well at that. I think it's due to the fact that I have a smooth turnover and when it's interrupted, I don't run as well. I'm not a strength runner."

You went to the University of Oregon for your masters and PhD. Is Eugene running heaven?

"It's pretty much running heaven ... I wasn't even planning on running competitively post-collegiately. I moved to Oregon and didn't think it would effect me the way it did. But everyone is so enthusiastic about running and there are plenty of places to run."

How did you get into marathoning?

"I did it because my husband (Todd Braje) — my boyfriend at the time — was an ultra-marathoner and convinced me to run it (2005 Green Bay Marathon). He ended up getting injured and I did it myself. I figured if I wanted to make the 2008 (Olympic Marathon) Trials that I might as well ... I ran a 2:52 (third place overall female), but I hit the wall at mile 15."

You already had your sights set on the 2008 Olympic Trials?

"I don't remember exactly how I knew about the trials because at the time I didn't know much about running (opportunities)."

What brought you to Charleston?

"I got my (PhD) degree in clinical psychology but we have a year to do a clinical internship. My husband (also an academic) was applying for jobs too, so we knew there was a good possibility that we wouldn't be able to coordinate locations ... I came out here and interviewed and really liked the program. He ended up getting a job in northern California. My internship ends at the end of July."

Are there any races that you are looking at doing here?

"Definitely the Cooper River (Bridge) Run. I wanted to do the Turkey Day Run, but it's been so hard balancing everything and I need a little break to re-charge. I didn't even really want to do New York, but it ended up helping me stay sane and center me."

What do you think of the running scene here?

"I was really surprised when I first came here. I didn't think there would be much of a running scene. I've met a lot of runners and active people ... Still in different parts of Charleston, I feel abnormal running. I've been yelled at running on a path of a (Charleston Municipal) golf course. This guy was really upset that I had the nerve to be on the path, but there were no sidewalks — so what could you do?"

Where are your favorite places to run here?

"I like the West Ashley Greenway. I definitely wish all the mile markers were up, but that's OK. For short runs, I like the Battery. It's really nice out there."

No comments: