A Change of Guard

សូមស្តាប់វិទ្យុសង្គ្រោះជាតិ Please read more Khmer news and listen to CNRP Radio at National Rescue Party. សូមស្តាប់វីទ្យុខ្មែរប៉ុស្តិ៍/Khmer Post Radio.
Follow Khmerization on Facebook/តាមដានខ្មែរូបនីយកម្មតាម Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/khmerization.khmerican

Monday 26 December 2011

[Australian] Sonia follows her passion


Sonia has grown attached to the children in the orphanage.

By Emma Pritchard
The Daily Examiner
26th December 2011

SHE may have spent her first Christmas away from her family, but Sonia Flaherty was still surrounded by plenty of love and affection on December 25.

SHE may have spent her first Christmas away from her home and her family, but Sonia Flaherty was still surrounded by plenty of love and affection on December 25.

The former South Grafton High School student is currently living in Siem Reap, Cambodia, where she works as a volunteer English teacher at a local orphanage.

Inspired after a volunteer from Assisting Cambodian Orphans and Disabled Organisation (ACODO) visited her school in 2010 and driven by her deep passion to help those less fortunate, Sonia said she felt empowered to act on what she had learned about ACODO.

After completing her HSC exams in November, the big-hearted teenager boarded a plane and travelled to South-East Asia, determined to fulfil her inspiration.

"I first travelled to Cambodia with my mother (Rosa) in January to assist the orphanage for 10 days and I highly enjoyed my time there and was very enthusiastic to return after I had completed my HSC to continue the connection I had made with the children," she said.

"I was so happy to return to Cambodia after months of excitement and waiting. The people here are very respectful and joyful and I didn't feel nervous to be arriving into a third-world country as a young woman on my own.

"Since I first came here in January I have been fascinated with the country, its people and the day-to-day functions of Siem Reap.

"Each day is full of adventure.

"As a volunteer at the orphanage my principle role is to teach the children English. I currently teach a pre-beginner class in the morning, which consists of 14 students aged 12-14 years old. In the afternoon I teach a beginner class, which consists of eight students aged 14-16 years old.

"I really enjoy teaching and the children are all eager to learn. I also wash the children's clothes, garden, cook, help serve food at meal times, help the children with homework or extra work, attend to the children's injuries if manageable and I often show visitors or new volunteers around the orphanage and provide them with information about ACODO.

"ACODO houses, educates, feeds and provides a safe and happy home for 75 Cambodian children at the orphanage.

"They range from 11 months to 20 years of age and three new children have arrived at the orphanage since I've been here.

"My experience at the orphanage has made me a lot more appreciative for the opportunities that I have had in Australia and I am grateful to have been able to receive a good education.

"I plan to return to Grafton at the end of January 2012, and I hope to continue to visit and volunteer in Siem Reap in future."

Sonia said she misses her family the most - and mashed potato.

On her return to Australia, she will move to Sydney to study at the University of NSW.

No comments: