A Change of Guard

សូមស្តាប់វិទ្យុសង្គ្រោះជាតិ Please read more Khmer news and listen to CNRP Radio at National Rescue Party. សូមស្តាប់វីទ្យុខ្មែរប៉ុស្តិ៍/Khmer Post Radio.
Follow Khmerization on Facebook/តាមដានខ្មែរូបនីយកម្មតាម Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/khmerization.khmerican

Saturday 28 March 2009

Alan Perry vs. Khmerization on human trafficking and sex slavery in Cambodia

After Khmerization's response to his article in the Hawaii Reporter, Mr. Alan Perry has responded by sticking to his gun and challenging anyone who can prove him wrong. Mr. Perry called on me to re-read his article as he considers my reply to his article a misrepresentation of his editorial. Khmerization wish to deny any suggestion that we have misconstrued the meaning of Mr. Perry's article.

Khmerization's problems with Mr. Perry's article is that it put the blames squarely on the girls for selling themselves voluntarily or their parents for selling their daughters into prostitution, instead of blaming human trafficking, forced prostitution and sex slavery which have taken place rampantly in Cambodia. Khmerization categorically rebuts this sort of suggestion which is in line with the common responses of readers at Ki-Media blog. (Mr. Perry's article and Khmerization's reply can be read here).

However, Khmerization wish to congratulate Mr. Perry for clarifying his views to say that he is "against any such activity" as human trafficking and sex slavery. Below is his reply to my reply to his article:
---------------------------------------------------

I feel it necessary to answer your allegations as they are very personal in nature calling into question my humanity and my morality and falsely claiming that I am on the side of the Sex Traffickers:

You wrote:

"As a foreign resident of Cambodia, I would expect Mr. Alan Perry to be on the side of the sex slaves victims rather than on the side with the perpetrators (sex traffickers) of the worst heinous crimes of human trafficking and sex slavery."

I think any fair and careful reading of my editorial to the Hawaii Reporter shows that I too am against any such activity. However you obviously misunderstood the meaning or chose to misconstrue my words.

The entire reason for my editorial was to point out the reporters mistakes and bring some badly needed perspective to the issue. An issue that many people both Khmer and Foreign residents alike, believe is unjustly hurting Cambodia and it's people by being blown out of all proportion to it's true extent.

I also wanted to bring another perspective to the argument that it is not just girls who are victimized and that many young people have reasons other than being kidnapped or forced to be working in the so called "sex industry".

I still challenge any person or NGO to bring forth credible evidence of the claimed "thousands" of sex slaves being held against their will. This is a matter of accuracy and fairness. It undoubtedly takes place...my argument was about the true scale of the problem not whether or not it is being practiced.

The kind of unsubstantiated, misleading and overblown reporting in the Hawaii Reporter hurts ALL Cambodians, their economy and the stature of their Nation abroad. The best way to deal with any problem is to understand it's true size and find effective ways to deal with it, not to sensationalize it for fund raising purposes, which is what many people believe is done by some NGO's dealing with this problem. I hasten to add that there are many reputable child protection organizations doing good works in Cambodia with very little funding compared to those that raise millions overseas and spend a small fraction of that actually doing work here to help those in need.

I stand by my original editorial and would appreciate you publishing this rebuttal to your personal remarks about me. I truly feel you have misunderstood the editorial and hope you will give it another fair and thoughtful reading.

Best Regards
Alan Perry

--
DevaRaja Villa and Bungalows
Intimate Stylish Personal Attentive
Sihanoukville, Cambodia
Reservations: (855)- 012-1600-374/017-409-395
myroom@devarajavilla.com
www.devarajavilla.com

No comments: