A Change of Guard

សូមស្តាប់វិទ្យុសង្គ្រោះជាតិ Please read more Khmer news and listen to CNRP Radio at National Rescue Party. សូមស្តាប់វីទ្យុខ្មែរប៉ុស្តិ៍/Khmer Post Radio.
Follow Khmerization on Facebook/តាមដានខ្មែរូបនីយកម្មតាម Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/khmerization.khmerican

Tuesday, 21 June 2016

New plans revealed for Sihanoukville beaches


An artist’s impression of a planned Otres Beach redevelopment in the coastal town of Sihanoukville. Photo supplied
An artist’s impression of a planned Otres Beach redevelopment in the coastal town of Sihanoukville. Photo supplied

New plans revealed for Sihanoukville beaches
Mon, 20 June 2016 ppp
Pech Sotheary


Work is due to begin soon on the development of four Preah Sihanouk province beaches, according to a Facebook post by Land Management Minister Chea Sophara.

The post showed digital mock-ups of the planned improvements for Ochheuteal, Otres, Independence and Royal beaches, including an entrance archway supported by two 8-metre dolphin statues.

“Preah Sihanouk province’s beaches will be developed starting today with the participation of the people and donors,” Sophara said.

Meanwhile, seafront businesses who have long operated in the shadow of eviction notices say they are still in limbo.


Notices of eviction to make way for the development were first served to vendors operating on the beaches in 2010. In February 2016 fresh notices were served to 160 vendors, but so far only 14 on Ochheuteal Beach have been forced to vacate.

Lev Kem Eng, a representative of 62 vendors on Otres Beach, yesterday said that she had not seen the development plans. She did say that the vendors have submitted renovation plans for their own stores to authorities, but had yet to hear a response.

Provincial Governor Yun Min said yesterday that the authorities are searching for a solution for the vendors. He said he did not know when development work would begin or when orders to evict beachfront businesses would come.

No comments: