A Change of Guard

សូមស្តាប់វិទ្យុសង្គ្រោះជាតិ Please read more Khmer news and listen to CNRP Radio at National Rescue Party. សូមស្តាប់វីទ្យុខ្មែរប៉ុស្តិ៍/Khmer Post Radio.
Follow Khmerization on Facebook/តាមដានខ្មែរូបនីយកម្មតាម Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/khmerization.khmerican

Thursday 11 June 2009

Beware of email frauds



Question: I responded to an employment ad on Craigslist for a "secret shopper" job posting.

A girlfriend of mine told me she had a friend who is actually employed to do this and loves it.

So I answered the ad and gave them my resume and basic information about me. I got an e-mail back that is in broken English in places, unlike the original ad, and says they are going to send me two checks in the amount of $875 each. I am to shop at Wal-Mart


and another store and then we are also going to secret shop Western Union, sending $1,000 to Cambodia.

When I got that response, I wrote back and told them I was going to turn them in to Craigslist for fraud and the FBI for prosecution.

I thought that was the end of it.

I checked Craiglist and their posting was gone.

The next morning I got a UPS delivery with two Safeway money orders for $875 each.

I knew these were fraudulent, so I called the San Jose nonemergency number and the lady told me to just destroy them. I said I wanted someone to go after them so they don't hurt someone that would fall for this. She told me to call a phone number for the national fraud unit, but the number she gave me isn't a working number.

Since then this lister has posted more ads for a secret shopper on Craigslist, which I flag and send to Craigslist offices. But then they just repost a few days later. Why is it no one seems to care about this? I have the checks and the UPS envelope and their Craigslist posting printed out.

Should I just throw them in the trash or is there anyone out there who does care and would like this information to go after these people?

M.O.

Los Gatos

Answer: This is a common fraud and victims typically lose between $500 and $6,000, M.O.

See a report at www.snopes.com/fraud/employment/shopper.asp.

To file a complaint, do a Web search for "Internet Crime Complaint Center."

Here is how to reach Action Line:

  • Mail: San Jose Mercury News, 750 Ridder Park Drive, San Jose, CA 95190
  • E-mail: actionline@mercurynews.com
  • Fax: 408-288-8060; phone: 408-920-5796; Twitter: action_line
  • Please include full name, address and phone number.
  • No comments: