A Change of Guard

សូមស្តាប់វិទ្យុសង្គ្រោះជាតិ Please read more Khmer news and listen to CNRP Radio at National Rescue Party. សូមស្តាប់វីទ្យុខ្មែរប៉ុស្តិ៍/Khmer Post Radio.
Follow Khmerization on Facebook/តាមដានខ្មែរូបនីយកម្មតាម Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/khmerization.khmerican

Saturday 20 September 2008

Khmer Surin: Will They Survive The Language And Cultural Genocide? A Viewpoint from Surin


Dear Khmerization,

Upon reading your comment, I don't want to agree with you but I have to. What you have said is right and so some researchers on Khmer language in Surin. I will send it to you later on the paper and thesis. Dr. Peter Vail, an American Anthropolist, has said that within 10 years, Khmer language will be completely gone from Surin and other provinces. Only Surin that is our last stronghold. It is a sad story for me. Whenever I teach children, sometimes I got angry because they don't understand Khmer. You may know how I would feel about this?

I keep talking with my wife although she is not Khmer about why the Khmer Surin don't love their language. Partially it comes from Thai government's banning on the language since 1962 when they lost the Preah Vihear case. I remember that my dad burnt down books in the night. I remember that he taught me to read in Khmer. But, I don't know why there is nobody stands up and fight for their right.

Like you have said, now we still have time to protect our dear language and culture. But, I can't do this alone. Although our family will decide to devote ourselves to teach children but it is just like a candle in the wind. Without our Khmer people's support and this is a cultural war with Thailand and this is our last crusade through peaceful mean. What we can do in Surin will be prosperous for the next generation to come.

It is a lonely and tiresome work, it is going to be long and it needs a lot of patience and most of all courage. I have talked with many people and I have found none that are ready to sacrifice their life for the language. I have talked with monks and intellectuals but they said that, "We should survive first of all and then we can think about something else."

I am tired like today, it is Saturday and I love weekends because I will teach to children although I have to travel from village to another. Sometimes we don't have money but we always find a way to get it just to make my old car running and I cant' miss children who always come to learn Khmer and I know that I can't fail them.

I am not intended to be a hero, I just can't sit down and enjoy my life and let my culture and language die slowly. I do what I can and I always pray in the night for our Preach Bat Somedech Jayavaraman VII to protect and to give me intelligence and strength when the morning comes.

Yours truly,

Lok Kru MOngkol
--------------------

Dear Lok Kru Mongkol,

I sympathised with your cause. I have sent your appeal to about 400 people. I don't know how they will react to your appeal. i did post your appeal in my blog and http://ki-media@blogspot.com did post your appeal in their blog. Some readers have made comments that they will send some money to you. I did contribute some money to your appeal before and hope to send more when spare money can be found. Good luck to you and all Khmer Surin.

Khmerization

- Show quoted text -


On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 9:09 PM, khmerization junior <khmerization@gmail.com> wrote:

Lok Kru Mongkol,


Here is my opinion about the fate of the Khmer language and culture in Surin. You don't have to agree with me, but please have a read and make comments.

Khmer Surin: Will They Survive The Language And Cultural Genocide?

Khmerization




--
Chaimongkol Chalermsukjitsri
President
Language and Culture Association of Surin Province (LCASP)
Room#1, Chom Surin Bldg., Surin-Prasat Road, P.O.Box 27, Surin City, Thailand
http://www.khmersurin.org
Email:khmersurin@gmail.com
HP 0875815514
Tel&Fax: 044520179

No comments: