A Change of Guard

សូមស្តាប់វិទ្យុសង្គ្រោះជាតិ Please read more Khmer news and listen to CNRP Radio at National Rescue Party. សូមស្តាប់វីទ្យុខ្មែរប៉ុស្តិ៍/Khmer Post Radio.
Follow Khmerization on Facebook/តាមដានខ្មែរូបនីយកម្មតាម Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/khmerization.khmerican

Saturday 28 March 2015

Malnutrition still endemic: UN

Women wait to have their children’s health checked at a Phnom Penh hospital. A new report released by the UN says more measures need to be taken to combat pediatric malnutrition in the Kingdom. Hong Menea


Over 40 per cent of Cambodian children under 5 years old suffer from stunted development due to poor nutrition, a rate that has not changed since 2010, according to data revealed yesterday by the UN’s Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO).
While Cambodia has put substantial work into poverty reduction efforts, malnutrition remains a serious issue, especially among children in Preah Vihear and Oddar Meanchey provinces, FAO representative Nina Brandstrup said yesterday.
“In 2014, we observed that the rate of stunted height declined, but the rate of underweight children had increased in Oddar Meanchey province and… in Preah Vihear province. The situation has become worse,” she said.
The FAO, together with Germany’s Justus-Liebig University Giessen and the Agriculture Ministry, unveiled the data yesterday at a seminar focused on how best to combat malnutrition by improving food security, adequate food supply and education.
The root of malnutrition goes beyond the simple volume of food consumed, Ly Kongry, a nutrition expert for the Malis Project, said.
“The majority of mothers do not feed their babies and children a variety of nutritious foods – they just feed them gruel, which lacks the nutrition [needed] for children’s physical growth and health,” she explained, while adding that “the amount of food is also not enough”.
Diets that contain sufficient caloric intake but are devoid of adequate vitamins and minerals – the cause of a phenomenon known as “hidden hunger” – can severely impede mental development in addition to causing telltale physical markers like stunting, according to Gates Foundation research.


EU representative Fiona Ramsey also emphasised the importance proper nutrition during the first two and a half years (or 1,000 days) of childhood.
“If they do not get nutritious foods during that period, they will face difficulties in [their ability to learn] and study,” she said, a situation that will ultimately “weaken the national economy”.
A 2014 report from the Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition states that malnutrition costs Cambodia more than $400 million annually and contributes to the deaths of 6,000 children each year.
Ty Sokun, secretary of state for the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, yesterday added that it is common for people to only eat what they produce and urged a collaboration with agricultural partners – NGOs and the Ministries of Health and Education – to teach villagers more advanced farming techniques.
“We know we need to [improve] agricultural productivity, [and] will do whatever to guarantee that the Cambodian people have food security and enough nutritious food.”

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Begin of Drgunzet's comment.

See, I told, Khmer students have very low learning aptitude, suffering from being malnourished. You guys must stop all the fighting, save money to help the poor. Get rid of the fancy and expensive smartphones. SAVE MONEY.

Let me give you three tips how I dealt with my poverty when I was young.

1. I chew very well and drink extra water for my food. So, my body absorb all nutrients, whatever in the food, no waste.

2. I walked around and found fruits fell off from the fruit trees, and ate them. I will confess, there was time I throw my shoes, made of spent car-tyres, and causes some extra fruits to fall down. And the home owners chased me. And I will pick any fruits within the rich of my hands.

3. When I came to USA, I made a discovery: In the American school, the students were always fed with eggs in the morning and milk for breakfast and lunch. So, I reason: Eggs and milk are the key ingredients making the Americans big and tall.

----------------------
After I sneaked into this high-class High School, I met one Khmer student, the lone Khmer one. He had the same scheme with me, "My uncle owns a restaurant nearby. He let me borrow his address to attend this high school, the best in town."

But his learning aptitude was extremely low. I became his tutor. In return, he gave me his unspent breakfast tickets. He always skipped Monday breakfast, and some time missed another breakfast during the week. He preferred to eat at his uncle's restaurant. (He also worked there as a waiter.)

So, with one extra breakfast ticket, on Friday, I would come to school early and ate two breakfast. I save one milk from the breakfast. Then I also saved the milk from the Friday lunch. This way, I have one milk for Saturday, and one milk for Sunday.

The school also favored me so I always get served with extra food, in particularly, scramble eggs. After three years, I grew 20% taller and 100% in weight and size while the Khmer student only grew 10% taller and 20% in size.

Milk is very important for the children's height and bone structures. Currently Vietnam has two big milk companies. They grew from almost nothing several years ago into billion-plus companies. You folks should search for "Vinamilk" and/or "TH True Milk".

Several years ago, Vietnam had no dairy cows. Today, Vietnam has more than 200,000 dairy cows and plans to double that number in a few years.

There is no way Cambodia can compete with Vietnam. You folks should focus on simple stuffs such as get enough garment jobs for everyone, have dairy cows for milk to feed the children.

Stop talking nonsense, lies, creating fights. Improve the little things first.

-Drgunzet-

Anonymous said...

I don't think having cow milk will make much a difference, having mother's milk does. If a child get enough fruit and vegetables with some meat will do fine.
If cow milk is available - go raw - not pasturize or nuke. I get my milk almost raw that it spoil on me if I don't use up within a week.

There is enough food to feed all the starving children around the world, but somebody rich and powerful is holding the key to control who get well fed and who will starve to death. This is the evil nature of man despite that they will report on such plight around the world to keep the masses focus on the good side of what ruling elite are doing behind the scene - mass murder, in the name of a better world. World is overpopulated they cry, yet they are so caring of such fate in Cambodia concerning malnutrition in children.

MagogMademn

Anonymous said...

Without dog shits you wouldn't be alive today, youn boy. Your standard of big is maybe 1/2 of the world standard. Now stop making STUPID comments and go eat more dog shits.

Sincerely,
STUPID youn...

Anonymous said...

Begin of Drgunzet's comment.

The average world milk consumption per capita is 107 liters per year. Most Whites countries consume more than 200 liters per capita. Vietnam only consumes 20 liters per capita. Cambodia consumes less than 5 liters per capita.

Within the next several years, Vietnam will double the milk production and raise the consumption level to 40 liters per capita, and then double again. There are massive plan to raise hundred of thousand dairy cows in Northern Vietnam and Laos.

There is no way Khmer children can compete against Vietnamese children. You need to get riel.

-Drgunzet-

P.S. When I was in High School. I consume half a liter of milk or 180 liter of milk per year. And that's how I grew big and strong. In college, I was 3-4 inches taller than most Khmer and 50-100% bigger than any Khmer.

My thunder punch or massive kick can destroy any Khmer within 20 seconds.