A Change of Guard

សូមស្តាប់វិទ្យុសង្គ្រោះជាតិ Please read more Khmer news and listen to CNRP Radio at National Rescue Party. សូមស្តាប់វីទ្យុខ្មែរប៉ុស្តិ៍/Khmer Post Radio.
Follow Khmerization on Facebook/តាមដានខ្មែរូបនីយកម្មតាម Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/khmerization.khmerican

Sunday 17 June 2012

Crispy rice changes widow’s life

Give our kids a better deal
Mrs. Theam Thy is collecting crispy rice from restaurant

PHNOM PENH, 14 June 2012 (Cambodia Herald) -Many people think of crispy rice as leftovers, but it is an important source of income for Theam Thy, a widowed mother of six.

"I've been buying and sell crispy rice for 20 years since my husband passed away," she says.

By buying crispy rice from restaurants and selling to others, she can earn at least $20 a day.

Theam Thy says she buys between 150 and 300 kilograms a day from restaurants for between 800 riel and 2,500 riel a kilogram, reselling it at 2,500 riel.

Although she traveled from place to place by bicycle for about five years, she now has a motorcycle.


"The business of buying and selling crispy rice doesn’t look good, but it can earn a lot of income, and no one else is interested," she says.

"I've been selling rice to a Vietnamese merchant for years and she trusts me very much. The merchant gives me 100,000 riel to buy rice for her and she gives me more money when I don't have enough.

"I earn a good living with crispy rice which has let me send my children to school. Four of my children have already got married and have their own children." 

No comments: