A Change of Guard

សូមស្តាប់វិទ្យុសង្គ្រោះជាតិ Please read more Khmer news and listen to CNRP Radio at National Rescue Party. សូមស្តាប់វីទ្យុខ្មែរប៉ុស្តិ៍/Khmer Post Radio.
Follow Khmerization on Facebook/តាមដានខ្មែរូបនីយកម្មតាម Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/khmerization.khmerican

Tuesday 5 October 2010

Lilydale weightlifter follows his dream to Dehli


Lilydale and Yarra Valley Leader
5th October 2010
by Emily Webb

DIXONS CREEK weightlifter Vannara Be says he is ignoring the controversy at the Delhi 2010 Commonwealth Games because nothing is going to stop him achieving his dream of representing Australia.

Even the news that part of the roof of the weightlifting stadium had collapsed on September 22 did not deter the Cambodian-born 22-year-old who became an Australian in 2009.

Be came to Australia in 1988 and last year the whole family was finally granted permanent residency. His citizenship was fast-tracked due to his athletic ability.

“Our family was knocked back for residency so many times because the Government said my dad had entered the country on the wrong visa but we kept applying,” Be said.

“Until I got permanent residency and then my citizenship, I felt I couldn’t really go forward with my sport because what would the point have been if I couldn’t represent Australia? Waiting for permanent residency is like being in a boat stuck out in the middle of nowhere with no direction.”

Be is in Delhi this week competing in weightlifting 62kg category.

He was introduced to weightlifting in 2003 as a student at Mt Lilydale Mercy College, where PE teacher Terry Dunn recruited him into the school team in year 7.

Before leaving for Delhi last Wednesday, Be was training five hours a day, at the Victorian Weightlifting Association.

Be said he was determined to win a medal and then go on to represent Australia at the 2012 London Olympics.

“I really want to win medals, so I can feel that I have made my country proud and myself proud as well,” Be said.

No comments: