A Change of Guard

សូមស្តាប់វិទ្យុសង្គ្រោះជាតិ Please read more Khmer news and listen to CNRP Radio at National Rescue Party. សូមស្តាប់វីទ្យុខ្មែរប៉ុស្តិ៍/Khmer Post Radio.
Follow Khmerization on Facebook/តាមដានខ្មែរូបនីយកម្មតាម Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/khmerization.khmerican

Tuesday 4 May 2010

Far Beyond the Killing Fields

user-pic
NancyLoo

TV Reporter/Anchor, Blogger, Social Media nut, sour gummy worm addict

The Albany Park neighborhood is among the many reasons I love Chicago. Where else can you find a Middle-Eastern/Mexican restaurant near a Korean restaurant, not far from a store where you can buy a hijab?

I was in Albany Park today to emcee the kickoff of Asian Pacific American Heritage Month at the Cambodian American Heritage Museum. It's yet another event I committed to before I knew I would no longer represent a television station at this time. After I commented about that in my opening remarks, everyone was eager to know which station they should switch to watching. I will certainly share such information when it's appropriate.

More importantly on this day, the celebration of Chicago's vibrant and diverse Asian community. I strongly urge every Chicagoan to visit the Cambodian American Heritage Museum. It is small but packed with important artifacts and information about Cambodia's history, including the Killing Fields genocide. Reflecting on such brutality and human suffering certainly makes my job situation seem extremely trivial.
Now, today was just the kickoff to Asian American Heritage Month. There are performances and events all over Chicago in the next few weeks. Click here to link to the city's Department of Human Relations website. You can access the calendar of events on the lower right hand side of the homepage.

No comments: