A Change of Guard

សូមស្តាប់វិទ្យុសង្គ្រោះជាតិ Please read more Khmer news and listen to CNRP Radio at National Rescue Party. សូមស្តាប់វីទ្យុខ្មែរប៉ុស្តិ៍/Khmer Post Radio.
Follow Khmerization on Facebook/តាមដានខ្មែរូបនីយកម្មតាម Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/khmerization.khmerican

Sunday 4 April 2010

A Khmer Krom monk has been denied entry to visit his birthplace in Vietnam


By Khmerization
Source: RFA

A Khmer Krom Buddhist monk has been refused entry to his native Vietnam and arrested upon arriving at Ho Chi Minh City Airport on 1st April, reports Radio Free Asia.

29-year-old Thach Veasna flew from Bangkok to Prey Nokor (Ho Chi Minh City), but was arrested by the Vietnamese immigration police at the airport and they forced him to board another plane to return back to Bangkok.

Ven. Thach Veasna (pictured) said over the phone from Prey Nokor (Ho Chi Minh) that he had left his native Preah Tropeang (Tra Vinh) province shortly after he was ordained and came to study in Phnom Penh. After a short study in Phnom Penh, he left to further his study in Bangkok, Thailand, where he spent three years.

Ven. Thach Veasna said he holds a Cambodian passport and after he arrived at Ho Chi Minh Airport, he was detained right away and forced to board another plane bound for Bangkok. Ven. Thach Veasna said he refused to board a plane to return to Thailand because he did nothing wrong: “At this moment, they have refused my entry to my birthplace. I left Bangkok at 9am on 1st April. I left Bangkok bound for Prey Nokor to visit my birthplace in Preah Tropeang province. I went to study in Bangkok for three years already, I am now returning to visit my birthplace. When I arrived at the airport, the airport police arrested me and they refused my entry. They told me to return back to Bangkok. I refused to go back, I am staying a little bit longer to protest…”, he said.

“They told me the reason is because of safety issues that they cannot allow me to stay in their country, that’s what they said. Then, I told them that this is my birth country also, but I went to study [abroad], and now I am returning back to my pagoda to visit my teachers, my relatives, family. They said they cannot accept me, and that I must return back to my original place of residence and that is Bangkok”, he added.

Ven. Thach Veasna said he had asked the Vietnamese authority to allow him to meet Cambodian embassy officials, but his request was denied.

The Vietnamese authority cannot be reached for comments at the time of this report going to air.

No comments: