A Change of Guard

សូមស្តាប់វិទ្យុសង្គ្រោះជាតិ Please read more Khmer news and listen to CNRP Radio at National Rescue Party. សូមស្តាប់វីទ្យុខ្មែរប៉ុស្តិ៍/Khmer Post Radio.
Follow Khmerization on Facebook/តាមដានខ្មែរូបនីយកម្មតាម Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/khmerization.khmerican

Friday 8 January 2010

No excuse from Sam Rainsy


On January 6, 2010, opposition leader Sam Rainsy (pictured) wrote the following letter to the Editor of The Phnom Penh Post.

Sir,

In your January 6 article “PM dismisses possible pardon for Sam Rainsy over VN border charges,” Prime Minister Hun Sen was quoted as saying, “There are no more chances [for Sam Rainsy] to write a letter of apology to me.”

I would like to specify that I have never written any letter of apology to Mr. Hun Sen. As a matter of fact, I did write to express “regrets” for an unpleasant situation in the past but, in political and diplomatic language, regrets and apologies are not the same thing.

You may regret that somebody is a tyrant but you would never make any apologies to him.

This time, I will not even express any regret at all because, on October 25 in Svay Rieng province, I only defended the interest of my country and my people and therefore only did my duty as a Member of Parliament.

I will return to Cambodia and accept to be jailed -- as Mr. Hun Sen apparently dictates to the court -- when the government releases all farmers being detained for protesting land grabbing, and gives back their property.

Yours sincerely,

Sam Rainsy

Member of Parliament

4 comments:

My Community Networking said...

Khmerization;
It is not really good idea for SR to stay away, dictate term to Phnom Penh administration while his supporters are behind bars.

His supporters are not in pisition to fight for their freedom through costly court battle. SR shall shows them supports and gratitutes by returning to Cambodia and take a head on collision with the case just as the same way the Burmese leader of league for democrcy who chooses to stay behind house arrest for a decade - and this the true spirit of a fighter and leader.

Do you agree with me?

Anonymous said...

Well, whoever you are(My Community Networking). Do you think Hun Sen will let him (Mr. Sam R) live to fight with him? Burmese leader don't think that their opposition leader is big threat to them and that is why she live till now. There are many ways to kill a person and no one will know how and why. So staying away from these criminals is the best option.

Heng Soy said...

I agree with 9:07AM. It is nt time yet for him to come.

Anonymous said...

Dear My Community Networking,

Mr. Sam Rainsy has indicated many times, even in this letter, that he will return to face court and jail if the arrested farmers are released. We will know whether he will return or not only when Mr. Hun Sen's government released the arrested farmers.

I also agree with 9:07 AM that Hun Sen will not treat Rainsy like Burma treated Aung San Suu Kyi. I fear for Rainsy's life in the notorious Prey Sor Prison. Suu Kyi was only kept under house arrest, not put in jail. This is the difference.

We must keep in mind that Rainsy faced many attempted assassinations before- grenade attacks in 1997, during 1998 elections and demonstration afterward and many more times afterward.