A Change of Guard

សូមស្តាប់វិទ្យុសង្គ្រោះជាតិ Please read more Khmer news and listen to CNRP Radio at National Rescue Party. សូមស្តាប់វីទ្យុខ្មែរប៉ុស្តិ៍/Khmer Post Radio.
Follow Khmerization on Facebook/តាមដានខ្មែរូបនីយកម្មតាម Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/khmerization.khmerican

Sunday 3 February 2013

In Memory of the King Father


William e toodjpeg
By William E. Todd, U.S. Ambassador to the Kingdom of Cambodia 

My sincere thanks go to everyone who sent comments and questions for my weekly column.  I really appreciate the chance to hear from you, as that’s the reason I write this column each week – to hear your thoughts and comments.  This week, we had several questions about the King Father’s funeral and how this event is viewed by the U.S. Embassy.  First, and foremost, I would again like to take a moment to offer my heartfelt condolences to His Majesty King Sihamoni, Her Majesty Queen Mother Norodom Monineath, the entire Royal Family, and the Cambodian people for the loss of His Majesty King Father Norodom Sihanouk.

The events of this week – the funeral procession for the late King Father and the enshrinement and cremation ceremonies – are the culmination of the hundred days since the King Father died.  This time has given all of us an opportunity to reflect on what the King Father meant to Cambodia and to the Cambodian people.  The King Father was an active participant in the history of Cambodia for more than seven decades, which is, in itself, remarkable, and there is little doubt that the legacy of the King Father has made a lasting impact on this country.

When I ask Cambodians about the King Father, I hear about the warmth and respect people feel for him.  Some people speak of him as a fatherly figure who shepherded their country through the first decades of independence.  Many speak of the admiration that their grandparents felt for him when he served as Prime Minister in the 1960s.  Others demonstrate respect for the King Father’s legacy while also examining history with an eye to the future progress of Cambodia.  Regardless of whom I speak with, one message remains clear: the King Father’s love for Cambodia was the central theme of his life.


Last October, it was humbling to see the thousands of Cambodians who traveled from all over the country to pay their respects to the former King.  I believe His Majesty would be deeply moved by the love and reverence the country is showing at this time.  Following the King Father’s death, members of my staff at the U.S. Embassy shared with me their remembrances of him, and discussed what the King Father meant to the country.  I would like to share a few of these remembrances with you.

One young woman recalled that when she was little the King seemed mythical.  She spoke of his return to Cambodia in 1991, describing the event in this way:  “I sensed the excitement in the air.  I saw King Norodom Sihanouk for the first time on TV.  He was riding in a car waving his hands to the people lining the streets who were waving flags to greet him.  Two decades later, I was among the people who gathered along Russian Boulevard, but this time the atmosphere was different.  There was no cheering or clapping.  People were wearing white, with ribbons pinned on their shirts.  Monks and old people were chanting.  I can’t help thinking that if my grandmother was still alive, she would have been among those sitting on the sidewalk waiting for the return of King Sihanouk’s body, no matter how hot the weather was.  When the motorcade arrived, some people started to cry; it was an emotional moment.”

For this young woman, the feelings of those who witnessed the return of the King Father’s body showed how he had remained close to the Cambodian people and had earned their respect.  She explained, “I think that he always had good intentions for his country, and is one of the most important people in Cambodian history.  I am glad that my family and I took time to pay respect to the King Father.”

Another person on my staff shared that the King Father’s legacy is intertwined with Cambodia’s history.  Here are her words:  “I was overwhelmed by the passing of the King Father.  The whole nation was in profound grief.  As part of Cambodia’s youth, I have learned about the King, how he achieved independence for Cambodia, his Sangkum Reastr Niyum (the unopposed era), his being deposed in 1970, the country’s descent into genocide and civil war, his 1991 homecoming, and his 2004 abdication.  The King Father’s final years were marked by his concerns about the poverty and abuse in what he called ‘my poor nation.’

“Such a legacy over a long period of time made him an icon, and Cambodia is unlikely to see such a personality ever again.  Sadly, his passing marks the end of an era for Cambodia.  I had an opportunity to pay my final tribute to him at the Royal Palace.  As a Cambodian, he left our nation and our people with profound nostalgia beyond words.”

I join with my staff and with the Cambodian people in mourning the passing of a remarkable man.  It is a privilege to represent the United States and to be in attendance for the King Father’s enshrinement ceremony and cremation ceremony, and I extend the heart-felt condolences of the U.S. Embassy and the American people to the Cambodian people on this somber occasion.

William E. Todd is U.S. Ambassador to the Kingdom of Cambodia

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

When President JF Kennedy passed away , Prince Norodom Sihanouk enjoyed a good champagne party and ordered all schools to blare joyful musics for three days and wished JFK , Ngor Din Diem & Sarit Thanarat together meet in HELL ( Ngor Din Diem & Sarit Thanarat were President
of South Vietnam and Prime Minister of Thailand respectively who died around the same time as JFK did ) .

Anonymous said...

Get your fact straight Mr.

NS might not be a close friend of Kennedy, but to say he celebrated the death of Kennedy was a lie in its purest form.

Anonymous said...

Yes. It is a pure lie and make up.

Anonymous said...

3:43 am & 12:57 am

I am not10:11pm.
I would not say Norodom Sihanouk celebrated the JFK's death, but he did " celebrate " a little.

Anonymous said...

I wasn't born yet when JFK was assassinated, but I didn't read anywhere that say Sihanouk celebrated JFK's death. I think that the claim that Sihanouk celebrated JFK's death is a fabrication because 4 years after JFK's death, in 1967, Sihanouk afforded a lavish reception for the visit of Jacqui Kennedy, the wife of JFK, to Cambodia.

Anonymous said...

4 Feb. 2013 9:04 pm
Please read " Sihanouk -Prince of light -Prince of darkness " written by Milton Orborne
page 162, 163 &
" The Tragedy of Cambodian History " written by David Chandler ; page 136, 137 .
Enjoy !
From 10:11 pm

Anonymous said...

7:46 am, I read both books a long time ago so can't remember all the details. Did the books say Sihanouk "celebrated" JFK's death and "enjoyed a good champagne party and ordered all schools to blare joyful musics for three days and wished JFK , Ngor Din Diem & Sarit Thanarat together meet in HELL" as you have claimed?

I don't believe this and I never heard any Khmer generations, even the republicans who hated him, said about this at all. I think it's all exaggerated.

Anonymous said...

Don't believe every thing you read. One or two pages of the books can not consider as facts niether use as the evidence in history.

I know that the Prince love to party, love to sing, love to dance, and love other fine arts anf performent arts. I know for sure he did not party because someone die.

Anonymous said...

Sihanouk was brainless & remorse less . He celebrated the death of his opponents
whom he had them shot and filmed which was shown every Khmer cinema for months.
He was just as cruel as Pol Pot . He ( Sihanouk ) had never said sorry to 3 million souls
who vanished during Pol Pot who was not able to be in power without support of
Sihanouk .