A Change of Guard

សូមស្តាប់វិទ្យុសង្គ្រោះជាតិ Please read more Khmer news and listen to CNRP Radio at National Rescue Party. សូមស្តាប់វីទ្យុខ្មែរប៉ុស្តិ៍/Khmer Post Radio.
Follow Khmerization on Facebook/តាមដានខ្មែរូបនីយកម្មតាម Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/khmerization.khmerican

Sunday 20 January 2013

Factory workers complain over low wages

PHNOM PENH, 20 January 2013 (The Cambodia Herald) -- Factory workers complain that their low salaries are not keeping track with the price of goods and services.

Ros Kuthea, who has been working at Vay Yang factory in Phnom Penh for seven months, said she gets $80 a month.

She rents a room near the factory where she lives with three co-workers.

"When I get my salary, I spend $60 for the room including water and electricity," she said. Daily food expenses for four people are $5.

Rin Phea, 47, has been working in the same factory for two years and gets $100 a month including overtime.

"My salary pays for rent, food and my children’s studies. I spend between 30,000 and 40,000 riel a day," she said.

Phoeun Sreyleak, 20, said she gets $70 a month including bonuses for health care and rent. "My basic wage is only $58," she said.

“My friend gets 2,000 riel per hour for working overtime after 6:00 pm and 4,000 riel per hour for working overtime after 8:00 pm.”

"My salary is low but I have to pay for rent as well as studies and clothes for my younger siblings," she said.

"I spend only 1,000 riel a day, but if I want to eat snacks such as cakes or desserts I have to spend 2,000 riel."

No comments: