A Change of Guard

សូមស្តាប់វិទ្យុសង្គ្រោះជាតិ Please read more Khmer news and listen to CNRP Radio at National Rescue Party. សូមស្តាប់វីទ្យុខ្មែរប៉ុស្តិ៍/Khmer Post Radio.
Follow Khmerization on Facebook/តាមដានខ្មែរូបនីយកម្មតាម Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/khmerization.khmerican

Tuesday 9 August 2011

Geckos on the Ceiling [A Kiwi has been Phnom Penh Posted]


Visiting a foreign culture for the first time has to be one of life's greatest thrills.

Observations from Asia

By JOHN ANTHONY
Last updated 8th August, 2011

The Beginning

Visiting a foreign culture for the first time has to be one of life's greatest thrills. It evokes a feeling of trepidation, isolation and freedom. There is also a great sense of accomplishment in finally reaching your destination. Today, after months of waiting in anticipation, I touch down in Cambodia. For the next two months I will be living in the capital of Cambodia, Phnom Penh while reporting for the Phnom Penh Post, a daily newspaper printed in English and Khmer.

It will most likely be a time of stomach bugs, fleecings, harassment from beggars and mosquito bites. But it will also be a time to make new friends, learn new customs and grow as a person as I experience a country which has suffered and overcome some of the most horrific atrocities in recent history.

The opportunity for this adventure was made possible by the Asia New Zealand Foundation, which awarded me a scholarship while I was studying at Massey University last year. AsiaNZ works to give kiwis the chance to foster relations in business, culture, education, media and research between Asian countries and New Zealand.

I am also grateful to the Taranaki Daily News for giving the time to embark on this journey. Also a big thanks to my colleagues for looking after my round while I'm away. I will be keeping my eye out for stories to send home and if any breaking news with New Zealand relevance comes up I will be on the scene to report for Fairfax.

If anyone knows any interesting stories or people to contact in South East Asia either email me at john.anthony@dailynews.co.nz or tweet me @john_anthony_nz

Tweets will be posted regularly once I have connected to a local network. Following my stint in Cambodia I will travel for another six weeks through bordering countries before finishing up in India.

Wish me luck.

- Taranaki Daily News

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What is up with his nose? I think he needs a nose-job done first. Anyway, welcome to Cambodia. We love the nerd.