A Change of Guard

សូមស្តាប់វិទ្យុសង្គ្រោះជាតិ Please read more Khmer news and listen to CNRP Radio at National Rescue Party. សូមស្តាប់វីទ្យុខ្មែរប៉ុស្តិ៍/Khmer Post Radio.
Follow Khmerization on Facebook/តាមដានខ្មែរូបនីយកម្មតាម Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/khmerization.khmerican

Monday 28 March 2011

Need answer on Cambodian extortionate hospital system

Hi,

I am a frequent reader of your posts as well as your partners blog. Today I am writing because I want to know the policy of Cambodian hospital and its staffs member. My relative was sick and admitted himself in the hospital in Phnom Penh. He paid them each time they present a bill to him and so the staffs there treat him well. When he is nearly out of money, he told them honest that he have no money left to pay them and wished to go home with just medicine so he can take care of himself at home but they say it is ok for him to get the full medical treatment in the hospital. So he stays there for almost a week and he gets better until he ask again to go home and also told them that he need to find money to pay them.
The doctor who treated him know very well that he is short of money. So yesterday they argued over the bill because they want him to pay them which is fine, he will pay but he need to get out of the hospital to find the money however, they won't release him out until he pay them in full which is ridiculous! How can a person find the money while in the hospital? He told them he need to go out to find the money and pay them when he can, just give him times to make the money but the doctor and his team won't listen. They demand he pay now but how can he?! Now they want to sue him for not paying and this is outrageous policy!

My relative is willing to pay but he need to get discharge from the hospital to work and make money to pay back. How can these group of medical team expect him to pay them when they keep him in the hospital?

Is this common in Cambodia? Do Dr and hospital sue patient who cannot pay immediately all the time? I just need to find justice for my relative. The doctor is writing up report that he is a disruptive patient, causing trouble to their work etc which is so untrue! How can a professional be so unreasonable? Now my relative is stress over this and he is still in the hospital but they won't give him any more medicine or treat him at all. They are ignoring his pain. I know that my relative is at fault for not paying but circumstance make him unable to pay because he runs out of money and need to get back to work to make money and pay. Why don't they understand? Are there any organization or anything I can do to help him out to win this case because tomorrow Monday morning, they are going to the police station to sue him.

Thank you for reading my complaint and I hope to hear back from you soon.

Rea
----------
Dear Rea,

It is sad that Cambodian hospital system is so corrupt that doctors and hospital staff have so often become predatory and extortionate toward their patients. In the West, doctors and medical staff have been trained to observe the medical ethics strictly- meaning the life and the health of the patients come first before money.

As far as I know, this practice is common, but it is not a hospital or the government's policy, but have been rampantly practised by corrupt and unethical doctors and medical staff.

I don't know if any NGOs can help, but you can try the Cambodian Human Rights Centre (Ouvirak@cchrcambodia.org ) or Licadho (Licadho@camnet.com.kh) or go to one of the ruling or opposition MPs to ask them to intervene.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rea,

You could contact Deum Ampil

Anonymous said...

Yes, good idea. I read before that Deum Ampil has helped a few people with this problem to settle their hospital and medical bills.

Anonymous said...

Thank you everyone for your advice.
Rea

VB said...

Major of doctors in Cambodia are immoral and insane. They know only money. The worst is they take money and they don't even care the patients' health issues.

My father paid for his eye glass replacement. They took money and two months later my father's eye had got to have a surgery because of the doctor's mistake. Now his eye can't see anymore.

What I am gonna do. Kill them? I's just immoral and insane. Corruption run deep into Cambodia society.

Anonymous said...

OMG, That is so sad. Can't you sue them?

Anonymous said...

I sugese you send this letter in khmer to koh santepheap kampuchea thmey. DAP . RFA and send to PM office because he keep screaming about this issue.include name of doctor and hostipal.

VB said...

I thought about suing but when I met with the doctor. I can't do it because he apologized for the mistake and he's poor and need to take his family. How much can I get from this doctor? none.

Cambodia society as a whole is corrupt from top to bottom. No even mention the corruption in court system and education system.

My kids, your kids, and others live in a corrupt culture. Right and wrong seems not important anymore. If you have money, you win.