By Sopheap Chak

I have been taught differently by my family and society. While my parents who value education and equal status of human being regardless sex that brought me to today’s higher education the same as my brother, my society distracted me into a mixed environment where I have to always debate myself for any step to move forward. The mixed environment here i refer to the situation where people keep telling me to follow the old tradition, while another side contradict this practice.

Gender Perception in Cambodian Society

In Cambodia, a male-dominated society, females are more expected to conform to norm and tradition which placed women inferior to her male counterparts. There are various traditional codes of conduct for women as described in proverbs, folktales and novels, especially in Chbab Srey, “Women Code of Conduct,” on how women should behave. Here are some excerpt of Women Code of Conduct: Read full article here: