A Change of Guard

សូមស្តាប់វិទ្យុសង្គ្រោះជាតិ Please read more Khmer news and listen to CNRP Radio at National Rescue Party. សូមស្តាប់វីទ្យុខ្មែរប៉ុស្តិ៍/Khmer Post Radio.
Follow Khmerization on Facebook/តាមដានខ្មែរូបនីយកម្មតាម Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/khmerization.khmerican

Thursday 4 February 2010

Meas Sokchea regrets the "yuon" controversy

Below is Mr. Sokchea Meas' e-mail to Khmerization after my letter to the Phnom Penh Post rebuking the definition of the word "yuon" as a racist epithet in describing the Vietnamese people.
-------------------------------------------

Thank you for your criticizing, but I regret that you have not been thoughtful about the news. I recognize that this article was reported by me as a reporter but I did not use the word Yuon and did not add in phrase “racist epithet for the Vietnamese.” This word and this phrase were written by the editor. I have requested him to use the word Vietnam in the bracket [Vietnam] instead of Yuon but he did not listen to me.



Best regards,

Meas Sokchea

Reporter for PP Post

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who was the editor that particular report of yours? Is he a foreigner who doesn't know the history and usage of this term?

Anonymous said...

I believe the editor is a foreigner. The PPPost is run by foreigners who are often very ignorant of Cambodia and its history and are quick to condemn us because of their ignorance.

Sokchea, I feel sorry that you are a scapegoat and that people condemned you for other people's mistake or ignorance. It is good you clarified your point.