A Change of Guard

សូមស្តាប់វិទ្យុសង្គ្រោះជាតិ Please read more Khmer news and listen to CNRP Radio at National Rescue Party. សូមស្តាប់វីទ្យុខ្មែរប៉ុស្តិ៍/Khmer Post Radio.
Follow Khmerization on Facebook/តាមដានខ្មែរូបនីយកម្មតាម Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/khmerization.khmerican

Friday 29 January 2010

Cambodian culture?


Hey guys.
I’m doing research for a story that I’m currently writing in which one of the characters is from Cambodia. I’d just like to know some basic facts, such as what type of currency they use, their main religion, what language they speak, their literacy rate, what percentage of the country speaks English, and whatnot. I’d also like to know how much Cambodia is like America so I can know if the character would experience culture shock, which I imagine they would anyway despite their background. Any interesting facts about Cambodia would be greatly appreciated. I will be doing independent research as well but you can never be too accurate when it comes to first-hand knowledge.
Thanks so much,
Lex

Visit here to give answers to Alex's question.

---------------------------

Answer from Jessica:

Go find the CIA Factbook and it’ll list all the basic info on Cambodia that you’ll need. Currency is riel. Language is Khmer. Most people are illiterate.

And Cambodia is waaaaaaaay different from America. I’m a Cambodian-American and my first time visiting Cambodia was just a couple of months ago. I knew it was different but it was crazy being able to see the country with my own eyes. It’s kinda scary at night unless you have a couple of Cambodians with you. The streets are crazy. When you cross the street, you just cross and hope that all them motorcycles and cars will slow down for you. I was sweating all the time and got 20 different mosquito bites. The people are nice and friendly and the food is good. You’ll get swarmed by children/beggars. I do not know if they harass people who are obviously foreigners for money though but if you’re Cambodian and seem to have money you’ll get harassed non-stop!

I can go on and on about Cambodia! If you need more specific info, just ask, and I’ll try my best to answer them.

And you should really visit Cambodia yourself – you won’t regret it! Except for the cost of the flight, you won’t have to spend too much money.

Hope this helps

No comments: