A Change of Guard

សូមស្តាប់វិទ្យុសង្គ្រោះជាតិ Please read more Khmer news and listen to CNRP Radio at National Rescue Party. សូមស្តាប់វីទ្យុខ្មែរប៉ុស្តិ៍/Khmer Post Radio.
Follow Khmerization on Facebook/តាមដានខ្មែរូបនីយកម្មតាម Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/khmerization.khmerican

Wednesday 5 August 2009

My Cambodian experience

Letter to Editor,
The Washington Post

Dear Editor,

While visiting Siem Reap, Cambodia, in April, I walked past a house and a small, fluffy white dog ran out and bit me on the calf. Although my husband said the bite did not appear to have penetrated my pants, the owner of our bed-and-breakfast strongly urged me to go to the international hospital. There, doctors determined the bite had indeed broken my skin and advised starting a series of shots immediately, as most pet dogs in Cambodia are not vaccinated against rabies.

Traveling made this process interesting.

I had my first vaccine injection in Cambodia. The next day, I had an immune globulin injection in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, because the Cambodian hospital had run out. Two days later, I was in Apeldoorn in the Netherlands asking for the second and third vaccine shots.

I got the fourth shot in Trondheim, Norway. And I got the final shot in Charlottesville at the local health department. They had to make sure that the shot I received here was the best match with what I had received in Asia and Europe.

Jean Lightner Norum

No comments: