A Change of Guard

សូមស្តាប់វិទ្យុសង្គ្រោះជាតិ Please read more Khmer news and listen to CNRP Radio at National Rescue Party. សូមស្តាប់វីទ្យុខ្មែរប៉ុស្តិ៍/Khmer Post Radio.
Follow Khmerization on Facebook/តាមដានខ្មែរូបនីយកម្មតាម Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/khmerization.khmerican

Monday 8 June 2009

President of KCF flees to France

Moeung Son during a press conference to expose the damages to Angkor Wat caused by the installations of lights on the temple walls.

Written by Chrann Chamroeun
Monday, 08 June 2009
Phnom Penh Post

THE Khmer Civilisation Foundation president, Moeung Sonn, has fled to France to avoid arrest, he said, after the Cambodian government sued him for incitement and disinformation over his public accusations that the installation of new lights at Angkor Wat had damaged the temple.

"If I had not left Cambodia shortly after Thursday night, I would have been arrested and detained with a court warrant because the government was terribly angry with me," Moeung Sonn told the Post Saturday from France.

"I want to return to my country because I love my country forever," he added.

Last week, Moeung Sonn blamed local media for spreading the information before he made his accusations.

Lawyer Pal Chan Dara confirmed that on behalf of the Cambodian government, he had sued Moeung Sonn on June 2, and that he had been
summoned by the Municipal Court for questioning.

"I will go to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on June 9 as scheduled to be questioned about my complaint against the president of KCF, Moeung Sonn," Pal Chan Dara told the Post.

Moeung Sonn accused the government of drilling holes into the temple walls to install light fixtures, a charge the government and the Apsara Authority deny, saying the recesses were already there.

No comments: